Wound Care RN
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA®) takes a unique and integrative approach to cancer care. Our patient-centered care model is founded on a commitment to personalized medicine, tailoring a combination of treatments to the needs of each individual patient. At the same time, we support patients’ quality of life by offering therapies designed to help them manage the side effects of treatment, addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs, so they are better able to stay on their treatment regimens and get back to life. At the core of our whole-person approach is what we call the Mother Standard® of care, so named because it requires that we treat our patients, and one another, like we would want our loved ones to be treated. This innovative approach has earned our hospitals a Best Place to Work distinction and numerous accreditations. Each of us has a stake in the successful outcomes of every patient we treat. Job Description:
Cancer care is all we do
Hope in healing
The Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurse (WOCN) will be responsible for hands-on patient assessment, planning, and intervention, as well as the education of both patient and family. The self motivated WOCN needs to have excellent organizational and communication skills and be able to take the lead, manage patient case load, confer with healthcare professionals, and develop ostomy & skin care and continence protocols. The WOCN will be responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of wound (acute and chronic), ostomy, and continence care for patients. In addition, the WOCN will function as a consultant for patients with draining wounds, fistulas, pressure sores, skin problems, and incontinence. Recommendations and a treatment plan will be individualized for all patients including in-patients and out-patients, pre-operative and post operative patients as physician consultations. The WOCN will also develop nursing staff skills in ostomy, wound, and skin care for optimal patient care. This position integrates education, research, management, leadership and consultation into clinical practice to enhance quality and continuity of patient care. Established nursing objectives, standards, policies, and procedures will be followed in administering nursing care. The WOCN is accountable for practicing within the defined scope of practice for the Registered Nurse and is committed to providing safe, quality ostomy, wound, and skin care nursing care.
- Provides consultation to all departments for complex wound, ostomy and incontinence patients according to Wound Care Nurse standards.
- Collects patient data and completes required forms with appropriate responses according to patients according to Wound Care Nurse standards;
- Identifies patient's problems/needs and sets priorities with the development of an individualized plan of care
- Identifies problems requiring further referral and/or follow-up; reviews and records latest diagnostic results; performs nursing assessment using critical thinking skills.
- Assess and determine the site for ostomy placement prior to surgery as ordered by the physician
- Educate the patient and caregivers about the prescribed therapy. The education of the patient or caregiver and assessment of the patient’s or caregiver’s comprehension are documented.
- Provides basic wound care training and orientation to all new nursing staff; provides ongoing in-services and training related to wound care, atomies and incontinence
- Active participation in wound care related continuing education programs. Continuing education is essential to sustain and advance nursing and is required of all nurses. Knowledge obtained from these programs should be shared with colleagues in collaborating disciplines in order to improve care. The Wound Care Nurse shall be responsible for his or her own personal and professional growth and development by maintaining knowledge and expertise in nursing practice.
- Develops a plan of care based on nursing process and which incorporates the plans of other disciplines and continuing care needs; includes the patient/family in developing or revising the plan of care; makes referrals to multidisciplinary support services.
- Makes recommendations to the physician for changes to wound care orders, and provides evidence based research support as needed.
- Care provided conforms to accepted practice standards; provides treatments/procedures and other care as prescribed and according to patient care standards; demonstrates understanding of age-related characteristics and needs of patients served; explains nursing procedures; provides discharge teaching; identifies emergency situations and independently initiates advanced therapy; acts as an advocate and coordinator of patient care with other health care personnel and evaluates patient care measures instituted; understands and demonstrates respect for patient rights and utilizes established mechanisms for management of ethical issues in patient care.
- Graduate of an accredited program of nursing; Bachelor of Science degree in nursing is required, MSN preferred.
- Minimum two years previous experience in oncology and/or medical-surgical units.
- Active Registered Nurse (RN) license in the applicable state
- Graduate from an accredited Wound, Ostomy, and Continence program. WC certification is required; WOCN certification is strongly preferred..
- Current CPR certification, BLS and ACLS
- Oncology Nursing Society’s (ONS) Chemotherapy Certified preferred.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary approach to patient care.
- Experience in infusion therapy-related skills (peripheral and central lines).
- Membership and active involvement in the Oncology Nursing Society
- Membership and active involvement in the WOCN Society.
- Membership and active involvement in the Advanced Wound Care Association
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us. Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.
We win together
Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.