Histotechnician / Histotechnologist
Cancer care is all we do
Hope in healing
Cancer Treatment Centers of America® (CTCA), part of City of Hope, takes a unique and integrative approach to cancer care. Our patient-centered care model is founded on a commitment to personalized medicine, tailoring a combination of treatments to the needs of each individual patient. At the same time, we support patients’ quality of life by offering therapies designed to help them manage the side effects of treatment, addressing their physical, spiritual and emotional needs, so they are better able to stay on their treatment regimens and get back to life. At the core of our whole-person approach is what we call the Mother Standard® of care, so named because it requires that we treat our patients, and one another, like we would want our loved ones to be treated. This innovative approach has earned our hospitals a Best Place to Work distinction and numerous accreditations. Each of us has a stake in the successful outcomes of every patient we treat.
Schedule: 5/8s or 4/10s-- daytime shift starting at 5:00 AM
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the Histotech is responsible for handling pathology specimens from frozen section, surgery, imaging cases. The Histotech will proficiently and with accuracy process, cut, stain and mount specimens for pathology examination. The histotech will assist the pathologist(s) following established standards and practices. Assess and assists in the technical and clerical needs of the pathology department for support for regulatory and process improvement initiatives. Implements and utilizes quality management standards in compliance with CAP directives/checklists/protocols. Actively leads and/or participates in process improvement activities and other duties as assigned.
- Receives and records all tissue from surgical procedures, bone marrow procedures, frozen sections and cytology studies. Performs a variety of extremely difficult, delicate and complex tissue handling procedure such as frozen sections for rapid diagnosis of tissue during surgery.
- Assigns surgical/cytology numbers and logs information into computer system.
- Confirms specimen suitability.
- Accurately labels specimen and assist pathologist(s) in the gross surgical specimen. Manages the schedule for surgical, frozen and Imaging procedures that require pathology support for fine needle aspirations or biopsies.
- Processes surgical and cytology specimen (including bone marrow) and decalcifies bone prior to processing, if necessary. Utilizes appropriate fixation and staining techniques, cover slips and labels specimens, cuts tissue.
- Stains and cover slips cytology specimen. Changes solutions and stains as directed per policy.
- Must be proficient in the use of all the equipment and instrumentation in the department related to pathology.
- Assists the pathologist as assigned. Performs other duties related to the Histotech position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological/Physical Sciences OR Associates’ Degree OR Proper Certification required
- Histotech credentials required.
- Professional demeanor, effective collaboration and communication skills ensuring team work with co-workers, nursing staff and physicians. Knowledge of regulatory requirements and knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP). Above average problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ experience as a Histotech, preferred.
- ASCP certification is preferred.
Pay Range$23.39 - $38.56
Placement within the identified pay range is based on individual and market factors including, but not limited to, experience, education, credentials (including licenses and certifications), geographic location, market competition, skill set (including market availability of required skills), assigned/anticipated job tasks, and level of responsibility. These factors are considered without regard to an individual’s status as a member of any protect group pursuant to federal, state, and/or local law.
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us. Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.
We win together
Each CTCA employee is a Stakeholder, driven to make a true difference and help win the fight against cancer. Each day is a challenge, but this unique experience comes with rewards that you may never have thought possible. To ensure each team member brings his or her best self, we offer exceptional support and immersive training to encourage your personal and professional growth. If you’re ready to be part of something bigger and work with a passionate, dynamic group of care professionals, we invite you to join us.
Visit: Jobs.cancercenter.com to begin your journey.